Monday 10 March 2008

Storms

I like walking. More specifically, I like walking outside. Especially when the weather is nice for it - think sunny. At this time of year, a sunny day with a breeze that isn't too chilly is considered perfect for walking.

The people behind the weather machine today didn't seem to agree. They thought that the perfect conditions for walking were heavy rain, strong winds and thunder and lightning. Why not walk in pristine stillness when you could be marching your way into the apocalypse? Of course! Everyone wants to walk into the apocalypse!

No they don't. I'm pretty sure you get the gist of this rant now and I'm pretty sure you'll all agree with me about this grievance. I'm not the only person today who's suffered from the weather from Hell.

What annoys me more is the timing. March is supposed to be the time where the weather is not too cold but slightly chilly, breezy but not full out gusty and sunny but not all of the time. It's also supposed to remind me that hayfever season is looming, but that's another rant altogether. It's not supposed to be the equivalent of God waking up on the wrong side of the bed and unleashing his fury on us meer mortals.

By the time I got into university, I was soaked from walking during the peak of the bad weather. My hair was a mess, and when you have hair that is long and needs a cut it can be a real hinderance, my jacket was damp, my jeans were soaked and I could feel the rainwater in my shoes. My jacket still isn't fully dry.

And when I got into my lesson, the sun came out. What a kick in the teeth.

No comments: