Tuesday 11 March 2008

Public transport at gigs

Last Friday I went to see Apocalyptica at the Forum in Kentish Town. I enjoyed it all all except for one small thing. Rush hour public transport. There is no worse a time to travel on the train than the rush hour because they are so damn packed. I am either left sitting next to someone who I've never met in my life, never would want to meet and might occassionally stink because they haven't used deodrant. Either that or I'm standing, which, on a moving train, can be the least enjoyable thing ever.

And then when I get to Waterloo, I hit the tubes. That is even worse. If you ever needed to explain to someone the meaning of the phrase 'packed like sardines' then there is no better example than the tube at rush hour. You have no room to breathe because people are squashing you to a pulp and you can't look up because someone is trying to read their bloody tube book above your head. Where's the damn logic?!

And then when you get a train back, the train is deserted of drunkards, people eating Burger King that stinks or older, middle aged people wearing dinner party suits. There is just no space for me and once again I end up standing, even though my feet are dying from standing at the gig I've just been to.

Grrr.

No comments: