Friday 14 March 2008

The False Perception

I hate how some people earn more money for doing less and some people earn less money for doing more. The media presents footballers and so called athletes as role models for younger generations to aspire to. This sickens me when society’s real heroes are our doctors, fire-fighters and policemen.

Let me put this into context, a premiership footballer on average is set to receive just under £700,000 a year, and this is not including all corporate sponsors. Their job involves running in circles, kicking a ball, learning how to fall over without injury and learning how to fall over pretending to have an injury. This is a useless skill. This does not change my life for the better. This does not save or affect the lives of others. A medical professional on the other hand is set to earn an average of £100,000 a year. This is surprising when they have to go through years of training and experience some of the most horrific of scenes. Don’t get me wrong, this is still a fairly respectable wage, but why have we not got our priorities right? I always thought that sport was a bit like game, for fun with no politics and no discrimination.


This was Pepsi Advert which starred some footballers, I don't know who they are, just as well really.


I don’t want to sound or act like some idealist, but I can’t help but feel sorry for doctors and nurses who day in, day out help the less fortunate, who obviously are more educated, more integral to today’s society; but are at a less appreciated level. I am never clear on how to rant on this particular subject, I think it’s too much of an obvious problem. I just hope that other people can see this for themselves. But all is not lost. Perhaps footballers can engage the brain and use their fame for a better cause, perhaps give away their wages to people who actually work? It’s just a suggestion.

No comments: