Wednesday 12 March 2008

Fickle football fans

It’s always brilliant to listen to fans arguing about football in the pub or pretty much anywhere to be honest. One always seems to know more, and what is even better is the one who stays quiet then pretty much repeat exactly the same thing as one of the other people sat around the table.

I was watching the Carling Cup final at a local pub a little while ago, and the first thing that struck me as peculiar was the amount of Tottenham fans were there, and the second was how they were shouting at the screen. Firstly, fans only seem to appear when big matches are on. If so why not actually go to the match? This doesn’t only concern Tottenham fans but also other clubs outside the top four, maybe except Newcastle when you can tell who are supporting the Toon.

During the final every Tottenham fan seemed to be mates with the players. Instead of using their nicknames or even surnames they insisted on calling them by their Christian name. For example, Paul Robinson made a save towards the end of the match and three fans jumped up and shouted, “good save Paul!” Do these people know him personally or something? Maybe they could be family members? I just don’t know why but they do it. Earlier within the same match Alan Hutton chased a Chelsea player and tackled him. The same fans behind me jumped up and shouted, “well done Al!”Again are they personal friends of him? Why not use a nickname or, even better, not do it at all? What made me laugh even more was the fact that half of the so-called supporters left even before they had lifted the trophy. They must have been going to meet the players because of course they were best of friends.

I have never had the urge to shout at the television while the football is on. It just causes annoyance to the other people watching it. If I were to do it when I was home my mother would just tell me to shut up. It doesn’t make sense to me the players can’t hear you. Obviously the louder you shout at the screen the better the players will play. It never occurred to me before I may have to start doing it.

No comments: